Find us on Google+ Pinch A Little Save-A-Lot: How to Make Flavorful Chicken Stock
Image Map

**Attention Readers: As of 1/24/14 all printables are first come first serve. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I had to end my Box membership, so they will only allow a set number of downloads per month. Once I’m moved and have settled in to my new home, I should be able to once again afford the monthly fees. In the mean time please come back at the first of the month and try downloading. Thank you for your patience.

3/6/12

How to Make Flavorful Chicken Stock

Every holiday season I stockpile chicken broth when prices are at their lowest, but despite my best efforts my supply is usually gone by this time each year. Rather than buying expensive broth, I started making my own stock a few years ago. It’s fairly simple to make and it saves me a lot of money! I've tried freezing homemade stock just about every way possible, but the easiest way I've found is using silicone muffin cups. They freeze well and they hold around a cup, so I always know how much stock I’m throwing into a recipe.


I keep raw and cooked chicken bones/necks in the freezer until I have enough to make stock. I throw the frozen bones into a pot with whatever veggies I have on hand: onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and parsley. I add a little salt and pepper, cover with water and simmer for at least 4 hours, occasionally skimming off the foam that comes to the surface. Then I remove the bones and strain the stock. Refrigerate overnight and scrape off all of the fat that has risen to the top. Then I ladle the stock into muffin cups, place on a baking sheet and freeze for several hours, and then I remove the stock from the cups and toss in a freezer bag.  Considering the fact that 4 muffin cups equal about one 32 oz. box of broth ($3.50 each), the savings is well worth the effort! 
Photobucket
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I just started making my own too! Love the muffin tin idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent! I would love to have you link it up to Fantabulous Friday going on now @ Little Becky Homecky!!
    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/03/fantabulous-friday5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie for the invite, I'm all linked up :)

      Delete
  3. If you cook with a lot of fresh produce you can save even more money by saving and freezing the bits you'd normally throw away. Carrot tops, the root end and outer layer from onions etc can be tossed in the freezer till you make stock then tossed in the pot with the bones and necks.

    I do this and even pick the tiniest bits of meat off the bones after straining and save for our dog. She loves the extra treat in her bowl and I can stretch a bag of kibble even farther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of freezing the veggie scraps! I already freeze the bones/necks, but now I'll start saving my fresh produce bits too. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing these helpful tips! Freezing food allows saving a lot of money. I’m glad that my mom has teached me a few great tricks. I’ve even decided to get money help online to buy a freezer because there is not enough space in a refrigerator. I like buying berries in summer and vegetables in autumn. I winter I can take an advantage of it! We live in tough economic times and food is expensive so it’s necessary to get to know how you can save money on it and cut your grocery bills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment! I thoroughly appreciate and enjoy reading every comment, however I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, mean or spammy. This is a fun happy blog, so let’s keep it drama free!
Don't see your comment? Blogger occasionally grabs comments that aren't truly spam, so it takes a little time for me to go through and approve them. Thanks again!